The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential provides you with a recognizable demonstration of your personal and professional achievement and commitment.
The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential demonstrates an individual’s mastery of the standards set for core knowledge and skills required of fundraising executives after 5 years of experience. This practice-based designation requires demonstration of having met these standards through both an application and a written examination.
All candidates must complete a written application that works on a point system. A minimum number of points in each of 4 areas must be documented: Professional Practice, Education, Performance, and Service.
Candidates must achieve the passing score on a standardized written examination consisting of 225 multiple-choice questions that cover the following core knowledge areas: Prospect Identification, Solicitation, Donor Relations, Volunteerism, Management, and Stewardship.Exams are given at various locations around North American and Australia throughout the year. Three exam forms are available: one for U.S., one for Canadian residents, and one for residents of Australia.
Upon applying to the program, candidates agree to adhere to the Donor Bill of Rights and the CFRE Program’s Accountability Standards, designed to promote integrity and ethical behaviour of fundraising executives.
Because fundraising is a dynamic field and because certification attests to a professional’s competency, certification is awarded for a 3-year period. A new application updating your Professional Practice, Education, Performance, and Service is required in order to continue to be certified.
Continuing Education Points Tracker
Participating Philanthropic Associations
The CFRE Program is governed by the CFRE International. The Program and the Board are administered in cooperation with leading philanthropic associations:
- Association of Christian Development Professionals (ACDP)
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP)
- Association of Fundraising Consultants (AFC)
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP)
- Association of Lutheran Development Executives (ALDE)
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP)
- Association canadienne des professionnels en dons planifiés (ACPDP)
- Council for Resource Development (CRD)
- Fundraising Institute Australia (FIA)
- Fundraising Institute of New Zealand (FINZ)
- International Catholic Stewardship Council (ICSC)
- National Catholic Development Conference (NCDC)
- North American YMCA Development Organization (NAYDO)
- Philanthropic Services for Institutions (PSI)
- United Way of America